Zombie Spawning Setup
Spawn Brush Setup
You need to complete this section of spawn brush setup for both Objective and Survival game modes.
You are required to have a single overlord_zombie_helper entity anywhere in your map. This step is important.
You also need your func_zombie_spawn brush entities throughout your map where you want zombies to spawn (see Objective/Survival setup below for details). Try to avoid connecting multiple brushes with large gaps into one entity.
While func_zombie_spawns CAN support multiple stories of a building, it is recommended to separate your floors. Each zone should be 1-100 units high, 1-2000 units above the ground, and at least 13 units from walls. With displacement surfaces you can set a single func_zombie_spawn above the highest point in the displacement.
The following two sections have details on where to place your spawn brushes on the map depending on your map type.
Objective Spawn Brush Setup
- Objective mode features a dynamic gameplay where players roam a map which is usually filled with zombies wherever they go. With these maps, the spawn system will automatically fill your func_zombie_spawns while they are enabled as the players roam and complete objectives.
- Set up one spawn brush per room or hallway, and try to split larger outdoor zones into logical zones where players can't see separate areas. Large fully visible areas should be one large zone with a high spawn density.
- While enabled, the func_zombie_spawn brushes will automatically fill with zombies the closer the players get to them. If you think there are too many or too few zombies in a specific spawn brush, set the spawn_density to a value between .1 and 10. "10" is 10x normal zombies. ".1" is 10% normal zombies.
- Zones will replace dead zombies with live ones over a period of time. You can adjust this by setting spawn_regen_target to any value between 0 and 1. If you would like a zone to not replace dead zombies at all, set spawn_regen_target to 0.
Survival Spawn Brush Setup
- Set up func_zombie_spawn brushes around the perimeter of your map where the zombies should come from. spawn_density and spawn_regen_target are ignored in survival mode, see Survival Setup for controlling the waves of zombies in survival mode.
Required for both Objective & Survival maps.
Once you have set up your Spawn Brushes, you will need to setup the Zombie navigation. Navigation is now controlled with nav meshes; this means you must create a .nav file in order for the func_zombie_spawn brushes to activate properly
To create a .nav you must
- Start NMRiH up and load your map as a local server (highly recommended that you compile the newest version of your map for this purpose)
- Type sv_cheats 1 into the console (` to open console) and hit enter
- Type sv_idle_autokick_enabled 0 into console and hit enter
- Type nav_generate into console and hit enter
Depending on how big and complex the map is, the process will take a few minutes to a few hours.